Thursday, September 13, 2007

Outlawing the Words "I Don't Know" in the Classroom

This entry will be unique for me; no mention of technology.  I just stumbled upon the blog of CaliforniaTeacherGuy and want to spead his idea, because I think it is brilliant.   In an effort to encourage his students to think and to voice their opinion, he has banned the words "I don't know" from being verbalized in his classroom.  Instead, his students can substitute the phrase, "I’m not sure, but I think…" 

I wish I had a classroom to try out his theory, because I think this simple rule would make a tremendous impact in creating a culture of learning and risk-taking (they go hand-in-hand).  This idea is just as good as substituting "What questions do you have?" for "Do you have any questions?"

I urge any classroom teachers who read this blog to try these two strategies for a week or so and see what happens.  I'd love to hear how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment