Monday, March 31, 2008

Planning for 22nd Century Learning

I spent the afternoon with a great group of folks discussing & planning steps to help administrators be the kinds of leaders required to transform our schools into 22nd century places of learning... meaning we must plan for the future.  I wish I remember who said that at the meeting, but I really like the phrase "22nd century learning" much better than "21st century learning," a popular phrase that I believe has become overused.  If we are planning for 21st century learning, we're already too late.

Meetings I attend outside of my school district tend to be with people like me - people who work on instructional uses of technology.  Our ideas and beliefs are shared for the most part.  The meeting today was with a group of administrators (superintendents, principals, curriculum directors, etc) who come from diverse backgrounds .  I enjoyed hearing their perspectives and ideas -  it was fun to discuss educational technology with people who have such different job responsibilities from mine.  The lingo was a bit different from what I am used to, but we all are interested in changing the learning culture of schools and are striving for the same goals.

The discussion was rich as we talked about the "formula" for the development of the kind of administrative leadership that fosters student use of technology as a true learning tool.  What makes some administrators passionate about the topic?  How can students be added to this discussion?  How can we encourage the natural learning that takes place informally in homes to continue at school?   Should teacher evaluation have a technology component?  How can we best share ideas and network with others about this topic?  What are the routines and practices of our best technology-using schools?  Of course, there are many more questions than answers, but I am pleased to be a part of the discussion and planning process.

Also, a phrase I heard for the first time was "generative leadership."  ...I plan to learn more about what that means.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I am so tired of hearing the same old buzzwords over and over again. I am going to start using 22nd Century Learning! It is sooo true that we've missed the boat if we're planning for 21st century skills. Thank you for mentioning the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houses and cars are expensive and not everyone can buy it. However, business loans are created to aid people in such kind of situations.

    ReplyDelete