Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Getting Started with One-to-One

Among other things, I am a Digital Coach for the One-to-One Institute.   I'll be spending two weeks facilitating professional development with teachers from Coopersville Public Schools, near Grand Rapids, MI.  Today was my first day working with the teachers.  I feel a great responsibility in helping them prepare and get off to a good start.  Lots of time is being spent on PBL and the changing role of the teacher and the students.  I started the day comparing the work required to remodel your kitchen to the work required when starting a one-to-one program (thank you for the idea, Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach!) 

I'm able to put myself in their shoes, as I was there about ten years ago, feeling excited and overwhelmed at the same time.  I've learned many things about what makes a one-to-one proram successful over the past ten years, and I'm enjoying sharing stories and lessons learned with the Coopersville teachers.  The reflection process brings me energy and confidence that technology be used as part of much needed school reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment