Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kids Teaching Other Kids Math

A 6th grade teacher from California, Eric Marcos, facilitates a project that I believe is noteworthy. His students are creating instructional videos/screencasts and posting them online for anyone to use. We all know that when you teach someone something, you develop a deeper understanding. Marcos created a website called Mathtrain that allows them to publish their work and collaborate. Assessment is authentic and the work is motivating.  All videos are licensed with a Creative Commons license.  See example below.  Mike is showing & explaining how to estimate square roots.

2 comments:

  1. do you know of other screen writing tools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @davidh53: Yes, there are many other screen capture tools. Some that I know of include: Jing, Screencast-O-Matic, Screenr, Screentoaster, and Screenjelly. Of this list I've only used Jing and Screencast-O-Matic; both worked well. I have an older version of Camtasia that works very well for me (although I would like to get the newest version; it's on my wish list).

    ReplyDelete