Sunday, March 21, 2010

Applying What Was Learned at the MACUL Conference

I received an email from an elementary teacher who attended a session about wikis while at the MACUL Conference last week. 
"Okay, so I've taken a huge jump.  Not only am I jumping in with both feet first, I'm doing it with my kids!   

I've created a wiki for my kids to do some writing.  I figured that if 2nd graders could do this (like I saw at MACUL), I could do this with 4th graders.  So, I wanted to share our class wiki with you. =)

I'm going to add in some pictures they've drawn to go with their myths, and then they'll add those to their myth page as well.  I'll be adding those as soon as they're done with the writing.  One thing at a time... besides, their before and after pictures are on the back of their Story Maps.

There might be something to this!  As a side note, I was able to give ALL of the kids detailed and personal feedback on their myths in about 75 minutes."

Check out the class wiki at http://mrsharmsworth.wikispaces.com/.  It's an excellent example of how technology can “rev up” student writing.  The wiki has individual student pages, a page for parents, a how-to page, and more will be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment