Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Unintended Uses of Twitter

Twitter is everywhere.  I started using it in March of 2007, when it was a communication medium that I used with other ed techies out there (I still use it for this purpose).  I learned quickly how it could benefit me... My position was/is unique in my school district, so I often did not have colleagues who I can collaborate with on many of my projects. Twitter helped me get connected to others all across the nation (and the world) who I could turn to for support and encouragement.  I'm now connected with others who know what I'm talking about when I ask about such things as codecs, applets, and glogs.  Sharing and learning is what I do with Twitter.

I recently saw a 8 minute TED-Talks video featuring Evan Williams, one of the co-founders of Twitter.  He talked about how Twitter originally was created as an experimental broadcast medium, and that the growth of Twitter came as a result of unexpected uses invented by users.  Examples:  Users invented a way to respond to each other by using the @ symbol.  Users also invented a way to search for posts about a topic by other Twitter users (#hashtags).  Twitter has been used during times of disaster and political unrest.  Mr. Williams had no idea that his little experiment would end up being such a valuable tool.  He ends his speech with this remark:  "Follow your hunches, but never assume where they will go."  Enjoy his 8 minute TED Talk.

1 comment:

  1. One of our english teachers uses twitter all of the time to find useful links and information. She doesn't post anything, but follows a host of authors, journalists, professors, etc. She likes it because she feels as though she is constantly being supplied with a fresh stream of information on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete