Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Process for Becoming a Certified Google Education Trainer

I became a Certified Google Education Trainer last month! Since then, a few teachers have expressed interest in also earning certification, so I thought I would explain the process in a blog post.  The process is time-intensive, but the knowledge and experience I gained has been worth it.

Step 1: Review the Process and Decide To Do It
You'll need to set goals and create a timeline. This is not something that should be spread out over a year. My best advice is to give yourself three months max, or you probably will never finish.  I attended a full day kick-off session at the MiGoogle Conference on Nov 5. I learned about the process and made a commitment (to myself) to do it.  I completed all the tests and applied for the program by the end of December, and then waited for the review process to occur. Of all the people at the kickoff session I attended (probably 30 people), I am the only one who has completed the process and earned a certificate (so far).  Hopefully this blog post will help as you decide whether you want to put forth the work and effort to become a Certified Google Education Trainer.

Step 2: Study, Explore, and Practice - then take the exams,  module by module
The process has been revamped since I was at this step (updated materials), so I will relay info as best as I understand it. There are 4 required modules: Gmail, Calendar, Docs/Drive, and Sites. Additionally, you can select at least one "elective" from this list: Chrome, Chromebooks, Tablets with Google Play for Education, and Implementing Google Apps.

Review the training materials here.  Each module took me about 10 hours to feel really prepared for the exam. I admit that I probably over-prepared. Instead of just reading about a feature, I wanted to do it myself using my school Google account.

Each module has its own exam. They cost $15/each and you take them at the Google Testing Center. Passing score is 80%. You can retake them if you do not pass, but it will cost another $15.  Luckily I passed them all on the first try.

Step 3: Get Your Google Educator Certificate
When you pass all five tests, you earn your Google Educator Certificate. You can download it from the testing center. This is a milestone! Time to celebrate!

Step 4: Apply to Become a Certified Google Education Trainer
Not everyone who earns Google Educator status becomes a Certified Google Education Trainer. Google is looking for passionate and innovative individuals to join the community of trainers who provide PD and support to schools using GAFE. An authorized Google Education Trainer badge is an official "stamp of approval" from Google. Schools can be assured that your expertise and learning materials meet high quality standards set by the Google for Education team.

Individuals must demonstrate their abilities:

  • A strong history of Google training in schools
  • Engaging public speaking skills
  • Ability to distill content into creative, informative learning materials
  • Enthusiasm and passion for the role of technology in education
  • Contributor to the larger edtech community via blogs, social media, or other networks
  • Knowledge of other edtech web technology
  • Supporter of web-based learning

Requirements:

  • Individuals must have a Google Educator certificate
  • Upload a resume highlighting relevant work experience, training and speaking sessions, and any other awards or certifications.
  • Provide references for trainings you have delivered over the past year.
  • Submit a two minute video showcasing your training skills. Highlight a feature of Google Apps for Education, Chrome, Chromebooks, or Tablets with Play for Education. Screencasts are preferred.
  • Create a case study using a template. Include sample learning materials and training strategies (include planning, implementation, and evaluation)
Applications are reviewed quarterly.  The next window will be June 2 to August 15.

Step 5: Walled Lake educators: Contact me if you are interested in becoming a Google Certified Trainer. 
If enough people are interested, we can work through some of the process together over the summer months. 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds Great!!!
    Even I feel like becoming a Google Certified Trainer.
    How long will it take to complete the certification? and what about the fees?

    ReplyDelete