Friday, July 10, 2009

The Joys and Perils of Technology

I've been around many people of late who claim that life was better before everyone started using computers and other technologies.  The technology that most of them use on a regular basis include email, a word processor, the Internet to find basic information, a cell phone, and a TV with the works.  For the most part, they have not been exposed to other technologies (especially web 2.0) and don't realize that they have only scratched the surface of readily available technology that could be really useful to them.  They often believe that people who regularly use more technology than they do are rude, shallow, and materialistic. 

Sometimes this is true.  People talk on their cell phones while friends they are with wait for them to finish.  People don't talk during a TV show or movie unless it is during a commercial.  People send text messages when driving.  People say things using email that they would never say in person.  Is it technology's fault for these bad behaviors?

There are some technologies that I have grown to depend on.  My portable GPs, "Gabby," goes with me wherever I go.  She has prevented me from getting lost many times.  I love my iPod Touch; I can do so much on that little device:  check the weather, keep track of what I need to purchase at the grocery store, read the headline news, check my email, look at my favorite photos, listen to music, read my favorite blogs, and more.  I use many different computer programs to connect with others with similar interests.  I've come to know many people that I have not yet met face-to-face.  We share professional resources, good books to read, and troubleshoot problems together.   I enjoy writing on this blog; it helps me as I set goals and reflect on things that matter to me. 

My life is not all encompassed with technology.  I also have close friends and family that are important to me.  I certainly do not believe that life was better before all these technologies became cost-effective and available to the public on a widespread basis.  I can work more efficiently now than ever before because I know where to go to find information, and I know what tools to use to make the work quicker and easier.

So what do we say to the person who says that technology is negatively impacting our society?  Or to the person who says that the technology changes so fast that there is no way to keep up with it?  Even though I am such a believer in technology, I sometimes don't know what to say... I can give personal examples and stories about how I use technologies in my work and home life, but that doesn't often help much.  Still grappling with this...

No comments:

Post a Comment