Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 Reflections

The year has come to a close; therefore it is a natural time to reflect.  Here are some of my thoughts about technology, looking back at 2009:

  1. Twitter annoys me.  I began using Twitter about three years ago.  Through Twitter, I discovered the power of social networking.  I used it to share ideas with others who also were passionate about educational technology, and I loved it.  This year, it has become mainstream popular.  I my opinion, it is too commercialized, and has become too big to be of much use to me any more.  I protected my account because I was getting so much spam, and have difficulty keeping my list of folks who I follow to a manageable number.  I occasionally go back to see the changes, but truthfully do not miss it.

  2. Texting.  My husband finally gave in and our family Verizon plan now includes texting!  I find it very convenient and use it often.  My favorite use of it is to keep connected with my grown children.

  3. iPod Touch - I purchased a 2nd generation 16G ipod touch in March 09.  LOVE IT.  I have wireless access almost everywhere I go, so the Touch was affordable sice it does not require a monthly service charge like the iPhone does.  I use the music when I use my treadmill, but actually enjoy the apps way more than the music.  My favorite apps include Google Reader, i.TV, the Weather Channel, Word Warp, Facebook, Shopper, USA Today, and Dictionary.  Checking and sending short email messages is convenient. 

  4. Wordle is my favorite web 2.0 site of the year.  It is a simple tool for creating word clouds.  There are so many creative ways it can be used.

  5. UDL (Universal Design for Learning), is something that I have been learning  about this year.  It's a way of designing learning activities that are differentiated for all learning abilities.  Actually I think I've used UDL principles ever since I became a teacher, I just didn't call it that.  It incorporates inquiry learning, project based learning, technology, and multiple intelligence theory. 

  6. Google Docs makes collaboration easy and people are become more comfortable using this tool.  I began using Google Docs a few years ago for working on papers for my grad class.  Now I use Google Forms, Spreadsheets, and Pages as well.

  7. Online Learning - I started designing online professional development modules for teachers in my district.  Feedback has been positive and I've got plans to develop more modules.

  8. Blogging - I continue to feel that the act of blogging is beneficial to me professionally.  This blog is just over three years old now, and it prompts me to set goals, reflect and share. 

  9. Wikis - I often wish I had my own classroom to try using wikis for student collaborative projects.  I use a PD wiki to share resources to groups of folks when delivering presentations.   

  10. Podcasts -  I love listening to EdTech Talk to help keep me up-to-date.  I predict that iTunes University will soon become a place that the general public uses to find instructional video on a wide variety of topics. 


What will 2010 bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment