Sunday, February 10, 2008

Did it... bought a Mac

Apple
I decided that I needed to be more well-rounded with all ed tech tools and apps. I've done a lot of research and learned that the new Apple computers can run Windows and Mac operating systems at the same time. I purchased a program called Fusion that allows an immediate switch of operating systems. Before I even install Fusion, I want to spend time using the Mac programs. I'm feeling a bit illiterate, not knowing how to do the basics. For example, I keep trying to right-click, and I still haven't figured out how to resize a window to the size I want it.

The school district I work for is strictly a PC district. Therefore, my new computer will most likely stay home for my own personal work and fun. I want to use it for webcasting and for the development of some on-line classes I am working on now for the One to One Institute. I look forward to comparing iMovie to MovieMaker.

Thanks, Julie and Derrall, for helping to get me going and for being there for all my dumb questions!


7 comments:

  1. I have a PC but so have MAC envy;-) I am sooo jealous now;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,
    I made the switch to a MAC for my laptop one year ago and I will never go back. I love my Macbook. I am also at an all PC school and own all PCs at home. Once my desktop will need to be replaced, it will be a MAC.
    Here are some posts on my thoughts and tidbits along my journey of becoming "fluent" in MAC. Enjoy your MAC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Mac side!

    If you have any USB mice, you can plug them straight in and the right click will work. If you're using the trackpad, then hold down the control (ctrl) key to right click.

    There's plenty of help out there, and loads of people willing to help you over the initial bumps... Just feel free to ask or tweet any problems or questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a Mac user since its inception in 1984, so my bias is strong. But, I suspect once you get the hang of things, you will never go back to the dark side now that you have seen the light.

    A book I would recommend is The Macintosh iLife 08; A visual guide to iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb by Jim Heid (Peachpit Press) If you want to learn iLife fast, this book is the ticket.

    You are gonna love your Mac, maybe you will even get you school district to see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam

    Welcome to the Mac nation as we have dubbed it in my masters program. We have more than half of our ed. tech masters candidates who use macs. There is an ongoing debate about which is better Mac or PC. It makes for lots of jokes.

    Seriously though, I am sure you will love your mac. When I was faced with having to purchase a new laptop for my program I had to decide mac or pc. I went with mac and have never regretted the decision. They make podcasting, movies, etc. so EASY!

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,

    I must admit, I love my pink Dell, but there are times when I miss my Mac. Yep, had one when I worked for an unnamed company that 90+% did Mac stuff. =) I feel like it helped me become "multi-lingual" and get a better grasp on computers.

    In any case, enjoy!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  7. To right-click, simply ctrl-click and it will seem familiar! :)

    To resize a window, I just find the lower right hand corner (there are 2 or 3 diagonal lines in the corner), click and hold on it and drag it to the size you would like to.

    Mac's are fun. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete